Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Sep 14, 2014

Big Nectarine Harvest and Preserving


Big Nectarine Harvest-
Here's how my weekend went.... Dave harvested all the nectarines, a big haul! I canned 19 Qts. and froze 15 gallons in ziploc bags. I am SO TIRED, but we got a lot of fruit!  I also made a huge, lasagna-pan-sized cobbler, yummy! Surprising considering we had a major pruning done of it. I'm off to bed early tonight! My back is sooooo sore....

Just part of the harvest, we had 3 coolers full and one laundry basket

cobbler/crumble

Great stuff, no flavor or yellowing

big one!


My outdoor steam canner set up, nice when it's only 78 degrees...


6 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Hubby's brother-in-law cans outside too. I may do that next season. Those nectarines look wonderful.

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

Wow, how wonderful to have all that put up for this winter. I can understand the sore back. Hope the good night's rest helped.

Unknown said...

Since I have a glass topped range that's my only option right now. Yes a good nights sleep would be good!

Dianna said...

Your nectarines are beautiful! Do you have any tips or tricks for peeling them efficiently?

Susan said...

How many nectarine trees do you have? That is a bumper crop! I love your outdoor canning set up - it makes so much more sense. I almost wanted to dive into that big, gorgeous pan of cobbler/crumble!

Unknown said...

Dianna, since the skin is smooth I don't peel, just trim off the bad spots. No fuzz like peaches!

Susan, 1 tree! Loaded this year, more than ever. I have a glass topped range so no indoor canning for now. It creates more room too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...