Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Dec 6, 2014

Advent Wreath Makeover, Getting Ready for The Holidays


Advent Wreath Makeover-
Last year, after Christmas, I bought an Advent wreath for 70% off online. When I received it it had some tacky gold left/plastic leaves and gold balls. Hubby likes Advent, so I decided to upgrade it. I bought some picks for $4.00, and some small purple balls. I had some green paint already and painted the candle holders, and removed the tacky stuff. Baby Jesus don't do tacky! I did like the tiny gold balls and purple bows. 

"before" photos



Picks and balls

Done...



Anya's a ham!

I added the picks and purple balls, now it looks much more full and natural. I like it! It shows how personalizing things make it much more meaningful. I added red apples for this old carol, Jesus Christ The Apple Tree that I have always loved. It's based on an old anonymous poem from the 1700's, just very lovely lyrics- 


The tree of life my soul hath seen, laden with fruit and always green:
The trees of nature fruitless be compared with Christ the apple tree.

His beauty doth all things excel: by faith I know, but ne'er can tell
The glory which I now can see in Jesus Christ the apple tree.

For happiness I long have sought, and pleasure dearly I have bought:
I missed of all; but now I see 'tis found in Christ the apple tree.

I'm weary with my former toil, here I will sit and rest awhile:
Under the shadow I will be, Of Jesus Christ the apple tree.

This fruit doth make my soul to thrive, it keeps my dying faith alive;
Which makes my soul in haste to be with Jesus Christ the apple tree.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...