Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Aug 29, 2015

Independence Days Challenge


Independence Days Challenge-
I haven't done much of these posts, so here's a bit of a hodge podge of things we're working on...

1. Plant Something- 
Nope, no fall gardens here, too hot. 96 two days ago :(

2. Harvest Something-
1st Patty Pan heritage squashes about ready, lots of apples, big bowl of tomatoes a couple days ago, more coming! Nectarines and pears are getting ready. Our rhubarb also made a come back and is turning pink! Maybe another week or 2...

girls enjoying the garden

squashes


Lemon Boy tomatoes
3. Preserve/Store Something-
Canning apple slices, applesauce and apple butter next weekend, Labor Day :) Lots of labor here! Freezing extra meats, whole grain rolls (great with winter soups), muffins and misc. stuff. Stocking up pantry closet of misc. items. Fermenting apple vinegar. I may do a second batch.

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep-
Got some great local peaches and tomatoes last week. Got work clothes clearance priced. Oddly, as always, summer clothes are going off the racks and winter coming in. It's 90 ish so it's summer for me! I refilled some prescriptions a few weeks early before my deductible rolls over in a week. Saved a few hundreds of $$$ on co-pays :) Score!

5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe- 
We've been eating lots of fresh apples from our tree! Two desserts done so far, so today I made a new apple muffin recipe, I thought I'd freeze some, fast and simple- Cooks.com I tripled the recipe and it made 16 large muffins. I also  modified it- I used 1/3 each: WW, Oat and Unbleached flours & added fresh ground nutmeg and 1 cup pecans-


I also used this long time fave apple pie recipe modified for a crumb cobbler, it has orange juice! Stephenson's Apple Pie recipe  Everyone LOVES it! Still cooling.

Made the fried fish BLT's from my last post-

 yummy!!!!

6. Build Community Food Systems-
Bought local fruits/veggies, selling extra eggs at work. I also gave my kids apples and eggs.

7. Recycle/Re-Use-
Recycled odds and ends of decor after painting interiors, my daughter adopted a few things this week, ebayed a few more things, box ready for charity.

8. Skill Up- 
Dave learned from his brother the easy way to remove/replace some of our damaged siding, so we can paint in the spring. You cut the nails with a sawzall so as not to damage the adjacent pieces. Worked great!

9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something-
Repairing house siding, so we we be in good shape in the spring to paint. Dave was able to also patch some areas with the used siding for smaller areas. Some of the beat up siding fell apart in his hands. This side takes the brunt of the storms-

new siding on the bottom

banged up siding on the top, actually the bottom, oops


new siding up, will paint soon for the winter



11 comments:

Jennifer@MyFlagstaffHome said...

Nice collection of tips! I've been harvesting squash, peas, and greens. Just picked my first ripened tomatoes. Our growing season ends in three weeks (first frost), so most tomatoes will be harvested green, but they ripen in the garage and then it's time to start canning. I hate it when summer ends, but preserving the harvest is so much fun! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

Unknown said...

Thanks Jennifer!

Leigh said...

Have to take care of that house! I have to say that your squash plants look great. I hope you get some cooler temperatures soon.

Unknown said...

Thanks Leigh!

Angie Rose said...

I'm growing Patty Pan squash as well, still waiting to harvest though. Hopefully soon! Love the picture of your girls :) Those apple muffins look delicious, yum! Happy to have come across your lovely blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Mama Pea said...

You've got to be getting so close to school starting . . . my retired husband teacher gets almost giddy this time of year knowing he doesn't have to return to the classroom. Sure hope your temps drop soon. Even if the school is air conditioned, it makes for hot, sweaty kids squirming in their seats!

Those muffins look wonderful as does your fish BLT. I'm getting eager to get my freezer and pantry in a little better shape for the coming winter. I really, really need some down time this winter and having quick, easy meals/food available makes a big difference for me.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Looks like you are getting a lot done. Those muffins look wonderful.

Unknown said...

Thanks Mama and Kristina. Yes, school's back and we do have AC in the rooms, but not in the halls or cafeteria. Makes me hot just thinking abut the lunch duty I am forced to do daily!!! Too freaking hot...

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Thanks for stopping by!
Hugs,
Deb

Unknown said...

You too Deb :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...